[wp-hackers] Improving the mailing list. (Was Auto Update Plugins)

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Sat Feb 21 16:54:16 GMT 2009

On 21 Feb 2009, at 00:47, Mike Schinkel wrote:

> Your list is very helpful but can I please ask for clarification on
> this point?
>
>  * Work with the project philosophy not against it

Ok. It is hard to describe in a succinct way but there are a few
things in general.

  * "Code is Poetry"
  * WordPress is a platform
  * "Options are bad" - User Interface should be simple, obvious and
easy to use for everyone (including your cat ;-))
  * Standard compliance

"Options are bad" is the one that people often come up against and
have the most trouble with.  The basic idea behind this (for me) is
that the software needs to be configurable but you should only present
the user with the options they really need to care about - the rest of
the time you make a decision about what is the best behaviour and you
just implement that.  This implementation should be done in such a way
that hooks (actions/filters) are available so that a different
implementation can be provided by a plugin.

I'm sure I've missed a lot here.

westi
--
Peter Westwood
C53C F8FC 8796 8508 88D6 C950 54F4 5DCD A834 01C5