[wp-hackers] Auto Update Plugins

Daniel Torreblanca regulatethis at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 17:13:49 GMT 2009

My 2 cents worth as someone who contributes very lightly... I've
contributed several bug patches (that did make it in) and a couple of
other patches that I did work hard on but were decided against
unfortunately.

I've always found this list very strange, because it seems like
there's VERY little input from committers, or people who do any sort
of steering for the project. I always assumed that people who actually
make the decisions have some other secret discussion area, because 95%
of what gets discussed here makes no difference and I rarely see any
concrete decisions being made. I find it it frustrating because on the
one hand I want to to contribute, but on the other hand I don't want
to continue doing work that will be ignored. So in that respect I can
see why people want to secure some sort of "approval" on an idea
before starting to do all the work, especially for the bigger jobs.

Having said that, if a feature is important enough for you, then
there's really nothing stopping you from going ahead and doing it, and
it would make discussions on this list much more interesting. It's
harder to apply that when the change is something that would benefit
the community at large rather than just one person's blog, but I guess
you just need to dive into it anyway.

The bottom line for me though is that I've always thought discussion
on this list was lacking, and that there is a major disconnect between
the core team and the MANY people who contribute time and effort to
the Wordpress project and that can't be good for anyone. Maybe I just
subscribed to the wrong list though?

Daniel