[wp-hackers] Auto Update Plugins

Rich Pedley elflop at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 19 19:15:46 GMT 2009

2009/2/19 Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com>:

> I don't think that that solution is elegant at all, actually. What
> appears to me to be the most elegant is keeping your plugin separate
> from your user-created content. This way, the plugin upgrade is simply
> a matter of replacing the directory. That strikes me as an elegant
> solution.
>
> I'm not thinking of this from a difficulty of coding standpoint, mind
> you, I'm thinking of it from a separation of code from content
> perspective. Why would you want "content" in the plugin directory?
> Makes no sense to me.

Agreed 100% - well I would I changed my plugin sometime ago to store
data in a separate place.

Currently you shouldn't have user editable content stored within the
plugin directory. Why? Well an easy example of why is any WordPress MU
installation. Remember they use one plugin for a multitude of blogs.
So creating a new directory for any user changeable content is the
only way that this can be achieved.

Although I still need to work on my directory creation script (when it
fails it does so badly - but 98% of the time it works with no problem)
coding it wasn't that difficult. I'll admit to having help for the MU
portion as at the time I wasn't able to install it anywhere.

Rich

--
my mind is on a permanent tangent
http://cms.elfden.co.uk/