[wp-hackers] Auto Update Plugins

Chris Williams chris at clwill.com
Thu Feb 19 03:36:58 GMT 2009

You're making this too complicated.

Plugin is in a zip, with whatever file structure it wants.  The zip gets
blasted out there, overwriting old files, creating new ones.  If the zip
includes a file called "deprecated.fil" (or something) in the root directory
of the plugin, the updater goes through it and deletes any files named in
there.  Then the updater deletes "deprecated.fil".  Period.

Accomplishes:
- Old files overwritten/updated.
- New files added.
- Deprecated files removed.
- All other files (regardless of how they got there) retained.
- Old plugins w/o a "deprecated.fil" file behave as today.

Easy-squeezy.