[wp-hackers] Auto Update Plugins

Heiko Rabe heiko.rabe at code-styling.de
Tue Feb 17 23:43:22 GMT 2009

Otto schrieb:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 5:02 PM, Stephen Rider
> <wp-hackers at striderweb.com> wrote:
>
>> Spam Karma -- would store Spam Karma plugins/modules -- PHP files used
>> internally by Spam Karma.  NOT world-readable.
>> http://code.google.com/p/spam-karma/
>>

> Yeah, this has always bugged me. A plugin should not really attempt to
> do plugins of its own. This is duplication of work and frankly
> bug-prone, at best.
>
> Instead, those sub-plugins (as it were) should be fully fledged
> WordPress plugins that utilize actions/filters in the main plugin. A
> plugin can easily create its own actions (merely by doing
> do_action('plugin-action-name'); ), so it should do so and then let
> other WP plugins fill in the bits that way.
>
> Then even these sub-plugins get the full benefits of being... well...
> plugins. Automatic update checking, etc.

+50 and -50  -> 0

pro:
- maintainance of plugins is much easier and follows current concept
automatic plugin update
- other autors can provide their own (sub)plugin extension if an
documented interface exists

contra:
- the main plugin can't not longer make the decision *not* to
load/activate a sub-plugin while processing an ajax call doesn't require
it (safe runtime and memory) !
- plugin / blog crashes can be forces by different authors using not
qualified the provided hooks and filters and dramatically increase the
support effort for main autor !
- their may raise translation conflicts over a wide range of sub plugins
or duplication of not nessessary text phrases!

so in total this is 0, for my personal taste more negative points !

Heiko