[wp-hackers] Auto Update Plugins

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Feb 17 23:15:53 GMT 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 5:02 PM, Stephen Rider
<wp-hackers at striderweb.com> wrote:
> Spam Karma -- would store Spam Karma plugins/modules -- PHP files used
> internally by Spam Karma.  NOT world-readable.
> http://code.google.com/p/spam-karma/

Yeah, this has always bugged me. A plugin should not really attempt to
do plugins of its own. This is duplication of work and frankly
bug-prone, at best.

Instead, those sub-plugins (as it were) should be fully fledged
WordPress plugins that utilize actions/filters in the main plugin. A
plugin can easily create its own actions (merely by doing
do_action('plugin-action-name'); ), so it should do so and then let
other WP plugins fill in the bits that way.

Then even these sub-plugins get the full benefits of being... well...
plugins. Automatic update checking, etc.

-Otto