[wp-hackers] Auto Update Plugins

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Tue Feb 17 22:01:28 GMT 2009

On Feb 17, 2009, at 2:58 PM, Dan Gayle wrote:

> IMHO, because you can specify where the uploads folder goes. I have
> mine in the root directory because I use it for multiple
> applications. Uploads is for content, actual page content. Plugin
> data? That's not the same. It's not necessarily something that I
> will be displaying to the world.
>
> On Feb 17, 2009, at 12:53 PM, Nathan Rice wrote:
>
>> Why not wp-content/uploads/plugin-data/plugin-name ???

+1  I definitely think of /uploads/ as being for actual blog data, not
backend stuff.

Having suggested /plugins/plugin-data/ [1], I'm okay with the
suggestions of /wp-content/plugin-data/.  I prefer /plugins/plugin-
data/ though because the plugin folder can move, and /plugins/plugin-
data/ would move with it.  That's not a huge issue though, as there
are variable calls for both the wp-content folder and the plugins
folder.

To be honest, I wasn't thinking in terms of stuff uploaded or edited
via the backend, (though that could certainly be done...), so the
permissions thing hadn't occurred to me.  In the example I gave,
upload Spam Karma, and upload any third-party Spam Karma plugins to
the *whatever*/plugin-data/spam-karma/plugins/ folder.

Stephen

[1] Okay technically I suggested /plugins/plugin data/ (space instead
of dash).  It was a typo.  ;-)

--
Stephen Rider
http://striderweb.com/