[wp-hackers] Canonical & Best Practices for Paged Comment

scribu scribu at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 21:23:26 GMT 2009

> So your comments would still be indexed. It's just that the link in
> the search results would now point to the main location for that post,
> not to one of the comments pages for that post. All the pagerank for
> all the comments pages would be consolidated to the main post page.
> The duplicate content on all those comments pages (namely the post
> itself) would get more or less ignored as being duplicate content,
> since it's the same content on the same page.
>
> All you're really doing is specifying that the URLs specifying comment
> pages really are the same URL as the main post page, just sorta like
> subpages of it.
>
> -Otto

Ok, so if a user looks for *foobar*, which apears on
/post-permalink/comment-page-3 and you have a canonical link to the main
post, the user will be sent to the main post. Then he would have to search
through all comment pages for the one that contains a reference to *foobar*.

I'm not sure that's such a good ideea in terms of usability. (In terms of
SEO it probably is)

--
http://scribu.net