[wp-hackers] Canonical integration into core

Chris Jean gaarai at gaarai.com
Tue Feb 17 16:50:23 GMT 2009

I understand where you are coming from Nathan, but I think that this
canonical tag is a different sort of beast and shouldn't be treated as
an SEO fad.

People spammed their duplicate content all over a site to try to improve
their keyword rankings. Search engines protected their search results by
lowering value of duplicate content. Today's dynamic URL structures
present a problem of providing what is technically the same exact
content by different names, not to try to improve rankings but to offer
other benefits such as tracking or to be easily read. This resulted in
sites getting hit with the duplicate content penalty. In order to
correct this for legitimate content producers that aren't trying to game
the system, the search engine devs have said, "here is a way that you
good guys can stop being penalized".

So, this is different than keywords, descriptions, title, etc in that
this field doesn't try to enhance your keyword ranking and can't be used
to game the system. Rather, it's just a safety measure to ensure that
your site isn't inadvertently punished due to search engines' actions to
stem the tide of spam content.

It's true that the redirects that WordPress uses take care of most of
this issue, but there are many areas that have already been covered that
aren't adequately protected. I'd rather have the WP devs spend their
time finding and addressing every possible avenue where duplicate
content could be shown than rely on every individual theme developer to
do that independently.

To me, the only reason to not have something in core and on by default
is if there is a rational reason to not want it. Since this is 1) not an
SEO enhancement to artificially improve ranking, 2) is blessed by the
big players, and 3) doesn't do anything to affect valid markup, I can
see no reason why anyone would not want this on their WordPress site.

Adding a template tag is great and all, but I'd rather theme developers
focus on creating great looking themes with advanced features rather
than reading the latest buzz about meta tag standards and practices.

Chris Jean
http://gaarai.com/
http://wp-roadmap.com/
http://dnsyogi.com/