[wp-hackers] Canonical integration into core

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Feb 17 15:57:50 GMT 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 4:12 AM, Lynne Pope <lynne.pope at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry if you don't understand.  But there's a wealth of information already
> out there about content-location and how to keep a URI that does not change
> regardless of the underlying software platform.

I understand what content-location is and does. I don't understand WTF
you're talking about with regards to it and this canonical thing. They
seem entirely unrelated to me, so referencing one from the other
doesn't make any sense.

> For example, one site I developed was using categories as a key part of the
> site structure. Posts were accessed by category and were not listed in an
> index or home page. A standard blog would normally have category -> post as
> duplicates to index -> post but, in this case, all posts were accessed only
> through a category listing.
>
> A generic header tag that assumes sites are blogs that present either full
> posts or excerpts on a frontpage is going to be unusable in situations like
> this. As more sites trend towards using WP as a CMS we will see more sites
> deviating from the norm.

This doesn't make any sense. If you use a particular permalink
structure, then the canonical URL for your posts would reflect that.

Also, the fact that you have no index and use only categories doesn't
affect this either. Canonical URLs would only make sense on single
posts/pages/attachments, they wouldn't be on an index or an archive.