[wp-hackers] Proposal: Twitter Support in Core

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed Feb 4 21:57:05 GMT 2009

On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 2:34 PM, Mike Schinkel
<mikeschinkel at newclarity.net> wrote:
> I also guess I struggle with the branding; I mean what the heck does "Codex" mean?

Ahh, English has failed us once again.

The word "codex" is another word for "book", as in the style of
books... with pages that are bound together and which have a cover.
Before humanity figured out how to make a codex, they used scrolls,
mostly.

The term "codex" is more commonly used nowadays for manuscripts, or
books which are handwritten only, as opposed to printed books. So, if
you consider it in that sense, the "handwritten" aspect of it tends to
also imply "poorly edited", which I think describes a wiki quite well,
actually. :)

-Otto