[wp-hackers] CDN Integration?

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Wed Feb 4 01:41:20 GMT 2009

Yes, thanks.

I've actually just completed the work on a (mostly generic) plugin for (Limelight) CDN integration and applied it to the theme of the site we are building. Unfortunately the NextGen Gallery which we are using has several hard-coded references to get_option('site_url') which means I have to modify his plug in order to use it and I want to avoid modifying other's code if possible.  This is an example of why it would be nice to have a better vetted image management api, but I digress.

It occurs to me that what would be helpful would be to add the following to get_bloginfo():

   get_bloginfo('images_url')
   get_bloginfo('videos_url')
   get_bloginfo('css_url')
   get_bloginfo('js_url')

And maybe more. These could then default to the theme + the file (i.e. get_bloginfo('template_url')+'/images', etc.) and be stated it's a best practice to use these in themes and plugins.

If I had these and there were used correctly I could write a CDN Integration plugin that would be (almost?) seemless.

-Mike Schinkel
http://mikeschinkel.com/