[wp-hackers] Less than Core, More than Plugins/Themes: Proposing Optional Modules.

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Wed Feb 4 00:43:16 GMT 2009

"Peter Westwood" <peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk> wrote
> WordPress is a platform.  It is never going to be able
> to include everything you want out of the box.

Ironically I'm asking for it to be a better platform. Currently what's in place creates a black & white divide between what's appropriate for core (nice and structured) and plugins (completely chaotic.)  I'm looking for more structure in extensibility than is currently provided by plugins.

Essentially what I've boiled it down to is:

1.) No auto-load or dependency management.  That can be fixed.
2.) No place to discuss and come to agreement on shared development with (a portion of) the community that is not applicable to the core.

BTW, #2 is NOT a technical issue, it's more of a socialogical issue.

That said, how and where can we discuss things with the community when the core team says it's not appropriate for the core?  What about another mailing list for that purpose.

-Mike Schinkel
http://mikeschinkel.com/