[wp-hackers] Less than Core, More than Plugins/Themes: Proposing Optional Modules.

scribu scribu at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 19:01:58 GMT 2009

On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 8:39 PM, Mike Schinkel
<mikeschinkel at newclarity.net>wrote:

> For #2, we are more likely to see child-plugins emerge if we have a
> well-known way to include it. Does anyone know if there is sufficient
> information to support identifying dependent plugins in the plugin
> repository?

2.7 has an API for getting all plugin info from Extend.

This is how I would (and probably will) do it:

On child-plugin activation, launch check_dependencies procedure.
Is required plugin installed?
    YES: Is plugin version good?
        YES: ok, exit
        NO: Request update
    NO: Request install

For plugins on Extend, this should be pretty easy, because the code is all
there.

I'm still waiting for the StriderCore plugin to see how he handles it.

--
http://scribu.net