[wp-hackers] Less than Core, More than Plugins/Themes: Proposing Optional Modules.

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Mon Feb 2 23:45:26 GMT 2009

"scribu" <scribu at gmail.com> wrote:
> As I understand it, it wouldn't be a single plugin framework,
> but potentially one for each area of interest, for example:
> podcasts, photo, video, themes etc.
>
> WordPress would still be about web publishing, but it could
> branch out into specific areas, while still being coordinated
> by the dev team.

Yes, that's the idea.

There would, for example, be a real benefit to adding some more advanced concepts for image management but currently each plugin goes it's own way arbitrarily in areas that I would consider "infrastructure", i.e. filenaming conventions, locations, etc. Doing this would eventually empower plugin developers to do a lot more more quickly because they would have less that they would have to do "from scrach."

-Mike Schinkel
http://mikeschinkel.com/