[wp-hackers] New LiveJournal Importer (please test)

Beau Lebens beau at dentedreality.com.au
Sun Feb 1 21:58:32 GMT 2009

Hi All,

I've added a drop-in replacement for the old LiveJournal importer. The
new one uses the LJ API to make the whole process a lot easier/more
bearable, especially for people with big LJ blogs.

If any of you know someone who could try it out (or if you have an LJ
blog yourself), can you please try it out and see if there's anything
that's not transferring/working properly? All you need to do is get
the latest trunk and you'll have it, then go to Tools > Import >
LiveJournal and follow the prompts (currently English only).

Known Issues:

 - Single quotes are being converted in a way that makes IE display
them incorrectly. Try changing line 238 to the following to
(hopefully) fix it, and please let me know if this does/doesn't work
for you:

        $trans_tbl = get_html_translation_table(HTML_ENTITIES, ENT_QUOTES);

 - Embedded media (e.g. YouTube videos) don't transfer properly:
Unfortunately this is a result of the way LJ's API works. They don't
translate their internal "<lj-embed/>" tags into the actual embedded
code, so we never get it. I'm looking at some options on how to get
around this, but they're all pretty ugly at the moment.

Please report any findings on Trac: http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/8999

Thanks in advance,

Beau

--