[wp-hackers] Improving WordPress Core Development

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Tue Dec 29 21:36:15 UTC 2009

Matt Mullenweg wrote:
>> [2]http://thesmallbusinessweb.com/
>
> It's funny that that page promotes Typepad but not WordPress.

Actually, if you read it you'll find they are not "promoting" TypePad per se; instead TypePad took action and signed their manifesto which I am strongly in favor of:

From: http://thesmallbusinessweb.com/manifesto.html

We invite companies that serve the small business market to show their support for the Small Business Web by signing our Manifesto. Must have a passion for customer service, an excellent product or service, a solid business model and an API.

You could sign their manifesto on behalf of WordPress.com if you like and then I'm sure they'd be happy to "promote" Wordpress too. I would think you believe Wordpress fits those criteria?

Matt Mullenweg wrote:
>> Why must you reinvent the wheel when one already exists?
>
> Many reasons, one of which is because I'd like WordPress.org, like Wikipedia, to run on a 100% Open Source stack.

Sorry for being snarky but it wouldn't be Wordpress.org, it would be http://wordpress.uservoice.org. :)

Anyway, it would really be nice to see you use it until a better open-source alternative emerges instead of being hobbled in the mean time.  (OTOH, as the top requests go unanswered so maybe having a better ideas forum isn't really the answer?)

Ravi Narayan Sarma wrote:
> Mike, my 2 cents: the other issue I identified (to wit: the lack of movement on the top 5 most desired features), if true, seems a much more important issue than whether we use wordpress.org/ideas or UserVoice (I do agree that UserVoice has a lot of interesting features). IMHO, there are simpler pains (e.g: why can we not change our password?!) to overcome.

Excellent point.

-Mike Schinkel