[wp-hackers] compression and caching

Micah wp at twolanedesign.com
Sun Dec 27 04:31:52 UTC 2009

>> But it made me wonder why compression and caching isn't included in the
> core.
>
> These require a well-configured server, hence why WordPress leaves it to a
> combination of plugins and, frankly, a well-configured server.

I could see this argument stand if compression was ongoing, on the fly, or
in large amounts. Compression doesn't and shouldn't happen continuously, and
cached files are stored and served up as needed. In theory, compression
actually saves CPU load, reduces http/php request sizes and would save
bandwidth handled by a server.