[wp-hackers] Metadata Mess

Malaiac malaiac at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 07:44:35 UTC 2009

2009/12/23 Mike Schinkel <mikeschinkel at newclarity.net>:
> I think you are viewing "one time" too literally.  Clearly the frequency with which ENUMs would need to be modified are at least two orders magnitude less than the number of times a query is called to load a set of posts, wouldn't you agree?

thx for clearing that up. I was thinking of one or two ALTER in the
life of the website versus thousands of SELECT on a VARCHAR.

>> And those sites are not the norm, and so should be using customized
>> solutions to solve their specific needs.

ok, what CMS should be used to manage a small (by number of pages)
website with user management, post and page management, plugins,
themes, and.... oh, did you say WordPress ? :)

>> If a site has 20000 comments on a single page, then they are doing it
>> wrong. They should be using some kind of forum software, or perhaps
>> "paging" of their comments.
>
> "Doing it wrong" again?  Think of how many got to the point of having 20,000 comments.  By starting a site that eventually grew to be popular.
>
> BTW, I interpreted "one a single page" to mean associated with a single "wp_posts" record, not how it was displayed.

Yes, it's paged, 50 comments per page. The page is one game, which
draw a large audience and many comments (think TPB torrent page with
comments, etc)

> Moderately busy Blog has run successfully for 2 years, Originally installed via Fantastico, Accessible via CPanel11, MyPhpAdmin, MSQL 5 (17 gig database), PHP Ver 5.29 Version.  The blog is crippled right now but on a nomal day I get about 10,000 - 13,000 page hits per day, 4000-6000 unique visitors,  Host claims I'm using up to 70% of a 8 gig shared server.  They also report that each process they allow is currently using about 80 mb of memory.  Currently on version 2.7.1 with no desire to move to current version yet.  Running 10 plugins including WP-Super Cache.
>
> Doesn't sounds like that much traffic and this woman didn't sound like she ever expected to get to that point.  Hmm?

Fitting the specific need of this website is not the goal of WP.
However, allowing this website to run properly on WP, with some tweaks
(but no core mod) with an average hosting (a big shared pack or a VPS)
seems reasonable, doesn't it ?