[wp-hackers] Wordpress as a CMS

Peter Westwood peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk
Wed Dec 23 07:17:52 UTC 2009

On 23 Dec 2009, at 07:08, Mike Schinkel wrote:

> On Dec 22, 2009, at 9:20 AM, Peter Westwood wrote:
>> BackPress.org has more info.
>>
>> The activity on BackPress has been decreasing partly because there
>> isn't much that needs changing in it and partly because very few
>> people know it exists.
>>
>> There was a huge spike of activity at the beining of the projects
>> life when all the code from WordPress was imported - the shared
>> code hasn't changed that much since then so it is unlikely to have
>> increasing activity by its very nature.
>>
>> I am trying to keep the code in BackPress that is also in WordPress
>> in sync so that one benifits to the fixes from the others.
>

> So you peaked my technical curiosity and I started reading the
> website but there doesn't seem to be anything that tells one how to
> get started with a sample app.  IOW, there's no "Hello World"
> example.  Also, I couldn't find anything on URL routing.

The best place to start for an example of use at the moment is
probably GlotPress as that was built using BackPress from the ground up.

BackPress itself doesn't have a basic url router at present and I
suspect different projects are doing things in different ways.

GlotPress has one implemented here - http://trac.glotpress.org/browser/trunk/gp-includes/routes.php

I am in the process of implementing a different one for another
project which I hope to get an early alpha of out soon.

I think in the long run it would be good to have a basic url router
included in BackPress or maybe even a couple of different ones for
people to pick and choose from hopefully this is something that will
come from more people using it.

> Any chance you could write a blog post on the topics?

Once I have some code to share I will definitely write some stuff up

--
Peter Westwood
C53C F8FC 8796 8508 88D6 C950 54F4 5DCD A834 01C5