[wp-hackers] Wordpress as a CMS

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Tue Dec 22 21:09:40 UTC 2009

On Dec 22, 2009, at 8:59 AM, Jane Wells wrote:
> Try http://backpress.org/ instead. Fledgling site still, but Beau Lebens loves BackPress, Matt loves BackPress, Westi loves BackPress, and it's integral to  some big projects, so I don't really see it going away as long as there's a WordPress.

Thanks for the link.

One thing I struggle with communicating in developer forums is that the first and most important thing I look for in adopting technology is not  how technically good it is but how many people are actively using it, writing about it, building 3rd party solutions for it and so on. For many developers on mailing lists that's often not even an important consideration but it determines so many things about viability and real world usefulness.  For anyone who has read crossing the Chasm by Geoffrey Moore will understand it that I'm in the "early majority" when it comes to how I evaluate technology whereas most developers are in the "innovator" category.

So whereas a developer might use something because they like it's tech it still doesn't work for me if it is obscure.  This is a conflict in values, which is why debates like this as so often like a religious war.

That said, it BackPress going to be used as the foundation for a future WordPress?  THAT would get my interest flowing.

>> 2000 visits a day is one visit ever 43.2 seconds.  I *hope* WordPress meta can handle that.
>>
>> How about 2000 visits a minute?  That's much harder.
> WordPress.com gets more than ten times that per minute (I looked it up) and it does okay. :)

Yes, but WordPress.com is used as a blog not as a CMS.  :)

-Mike Schinkel