[wp-hackers] Wordpress as a CMS

Jane Wells jane at automattic.com
Tue Dec 22 13:59:32 UTC 2009

> From: Mike Schinkel <mikeschinkel at newclarity.net>
> I googled "BackPress" and found very little substantial.
>
> I did find this http://www.ohloh.net/p/backpress but this
> "Decreasing year-over-year development activity" would scare me away
> from it.  I'd be far more apt to use CakePHP or similar if I had to
> abandon WordPress as a CMS framework.
Hi Mike. That site's analysis of "Decreasing year-over-year
development activity" seems weird to me, since as far as I know, those
common bits between WP and bbPress were only formalized into BackPress
in the last year or so. I could be totally wrong, but I remember Sam
Bauers working on it for integration between bbPress and BuddyPress,
and Beau just put up a site recently. Try http://backpress.org/
instead. Fledgling site still, but Beau Lebens loves BackPress, Matt
loves BackPress, Westi loves BackPress, and it's integral to  some big
projects, so I don't really see it going away as long as there's a
WordPress.

> 2000 visits a day is one visit ever 43.2 seconds.  I *hope*
> WordPress meta can handle that.
>
> How about 2000 visits a minute?  That's much harder.
WordPress.com gets more than ten times that per minute (I looked it
up) and it does okay. :)

Jane