[wp-hackers] Proposing WP Flavours (various WordPress forks) (Jean-Patrick Smith)

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Sat Dec 19 00:48:15 UTC 2009

On Dec 18, 2009, at 7:29 PM, Eric Marden wrote:
> If you want Drupal-like functionality, then just use Drupal.

I'm so incredibly tired of that refrain.  I thought you might come back from something that identified a solution, but instead you repeated that tired old saw.

Let's just put it out there: Drupal SUCKS (and this from someone who used Drupal exclusively for >1.5 years, as I have said before!)  I don't want to use Drupal, please don't tell me to use Drupal. I want to use WordPress.

> I personally don't want or need a GUI to create "CMS" functionality in WordPress - I can exploit the existing APIs to create all the custom post types I need. In fact I said as much when I spoke about this at WordCamp Orlando.

Just because you don't need or want doesn't mean that many others should be blocked from getting it.  To each his own.

> Having built or worked on some of the biggest Drupal sites on the planet, I can attest to the flaws in that type of architecture for performance and manageable development.

Neither Pods nor Flutter introduce into WordPress the architecture flaws that Drupal has.  And to be clear, Drupal's "flaw" appear at first to be benefits, at least until you use it for a while and learn that it just doesn't work well.

> WordPress's custom post type APIs are still evolving and will be getting much better in the future, but they are still plenty capable in my opinion with out boxing in the types of solutions I can create with them.

How do Pods or Flutter "box you in?"

> Either way, use Pods or Flutter if it floats your boat, but after using both of them on a couple of projects I can tell you that in my professional opinion its a rabbit hole I don't want to go down again.

Can you give more details?  Seriously, I want to know what you see wrong with them because I know you have experience with them.  I'm working on a plugin that was going to be synergistic with them in concept but it there's a better way maybe I'll implement that instead.

> This debate already raged on the list before, and I don't mean to fan this flame any further.

Heh.

> Just don't expect a lot of traction for any kind of Drupal-like CCK/Views/Panels/Blocks in core anytime soon.

Pods is CCK (only), Flutter is none of the above.

IMO, WordPress badly needs its own CCK; the rest of them, not so much.

-Mike