[wp-hackers] Proposing WP Flavours (various WordPress forks)

Doug Stewart zamoose at gmail.com
Fri Dec 18 05:08:07 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 11:56 PM, Stephen Rider
<wp-hackers at striderweb.com>wrote:

> I'm with Jeremy on this.
>
> What you might do is write articles linking various plugins that
> collectively create a "package" of some sort.
>
> For example, you might say "For this setup, get Plugin X (link), Plugin Y
> (link), and Plugin Z (link).  Now download this custom install script and
> put it in wp-content/install.php and run the install."
>
> With that, you could do just about anything I can imagine along the lines
> of what you describe.  No need to fork WordPress Core.
>
> And as Jeremy says, if you can't do it with a plugin, get help here, or get
> your patches up on Trac.  I've personally had a few patches in the last
> couple versions of WP, which are now part of WP 2.9 -- it can take time, but
> once you're in, you're in. :-)
>
> Stephen
>
> P.S. -- How to install a custom install script: <
> http://wpbits.wordpress.com/2007/08/10/automating-wordpress-customizations-the-installphp-way/

I was thinking far less forking and far more Fedora Spins (
http://spins.fedoraproject.org/) or Open Atrium (http://openatrium.com/)
wherein a custom workflow outside the general need/use case is
accommodated/tailored-to in order to make a software distro immediately more
useful to a subset of people.

--
-Doug
@zamoose