[wp-hackers] Proposing WP Flavours (various WordPress forks)

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Fri Dec 18 04:56:52 UTC 2009

On Dec 17, 2009, at 6:49 PM, Jeremy Clarke wrote:

> -1 to this idea.
>
> If you can't do it with a plugin then work harder to work out a plugin
> solution by writing a core patch that adds the hooks you need instead
> of demanding the whole thing be in core.

I'm with Jeremy on this.

What you might do is write articles linking various plugins that collectively create a "package" of some sort.

For example, you might say "For this setup, get Plugin X (link), Plugin Y (link), and Plugin Z (link).  Now download this custom install script and put it in wp-content/install.php and run the install."

With that, you could do just about anything I can imagine along the lines of what you describe.  No need to fork WordPress Core.

And as Jeremy says, if you can't do it with a plugin, get help here, or get your patches up on Trac.  I've personally had a few patches in the last couple versions of WP, which are now part of WP 2.9 -- it can take time, but once you're in, you're in. :-)

Stephen

P.S. -- How to install a custom install script: <http://wpbits.wordpress.com/2007/08/10/automating-wordpress-customizations-the-installphp-way/>

--
Stephen Rider