[wp-hackers] Developer portal

Ken Newman Ken at adcSTUDIO.com
Tue Dec 15 18:46:29 UTC 2009

A lot of good idea's on this thread, I'd like to combine some:

   1. I use the codex primarily as a function reference, and to look up
      API documentation. I think the codex should pull the phpdoc stuff,
      the inline documentation, as *part* of that reference as it could
      be more current (if the inline stuff is kept up-to-date). I'm not
      at all sure of the technical difficulty of such integration, but
      I'm sure it would be valuable if done.
      (Also, as having a live update on a public facing documentation
      site, it might provide incentive to keep up on documentation ;) I
      feel that someone should be paid full time to keep up with this
      (I'm unqualified). Perhaps companies, who like Automattic, have
      built businesses on WordPress can contribute a full time employee.
      My company is trying to be successful enough to do just that.)
   2. As far as tutorials, if there is a submission process with a
      description, as a separate part of the reference, then the
      tutorial would be search-able to some extent, and the recognition
      and site traffic desires would be satisfied. Voting (or the gaming
      of), I believe, wouldn't be much of a problem with the community
      using/contributing to WordPress, and would certainly have much value.
   3. And finally, a commenting system for users who are not yet at a
      level to write documentation or tutorials on there own could still
      contribute with questions and input in general.

And there's my two cents, thanks