[wp-hackers] Developer portal

Thomas Belknap dragonfly at dragonflyeye.net
Mon Dec 14 22:51:48 UTC 2009

... Well, there is Google....

The CakePHP site has the Bakery, which seems - to the extent that I've
visited it, which is perhaps not a lot - decently active. Its definitely the
place in the Cake world to do the same sort of things that Otto suggests for
WordPress. And it does work to an extent. The trouble is that when tutorials
become part of the central repository, there is an expectation set that they
will be complete in themselves, accurate and also complete in terms of
covering all subjects. In this way, the CakePHP Bakery fails miserably, as I
suspect a similar project for WP would fail.

Another problem is that, for complex subjects especially, each coder's own
style comes into play. External links allow people to describe a concept in
their own ways, leading to a more robust set of tutorials for a wider range
of learning styles. (wife's a teacher. I get this thinking from her....)

I do think the better option would be simple descriptions of each function
in WP that's usable in any way with a publicly-editable list of relevant
links.