[wp-hackers] Developer portal

Nathan Rice ncrice at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 21:38:02 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 3:43 PM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:

> Tutorials. Nothing but tutorials on specific sections of WordPress and
> the internal functionality.

> Also, lots of ppl already create these, they just put them on their
> own blogs. Make a centralized site, let people contribute tuts to it
> (even their pre-existing ones). People will do it. Mostly for the
> fame, but that's as good a reason as any. :)

Instead of trying to encourage people to write tutorials on some corporate
looking documentation site, why not just have basic documentation on a
function, then have a list of blog posts from community members that explain
the function in greater context. Then, let the community vote on which
tutorial they think is best, and the tutorial that explains things best gets
to be at the top of the list.

This has two hidden benefits:

1. Sending traffic to the writers (a HUGE motivator)
2. True community. The decentralization of content makes WordPress a true,
thriving community. It'd be crazy to think that people would choose to write
at WP.org for free rather than their own blogs.

I think this approach meets the needs of the community by providing links to
quality, relevant tutorials, but also benefits the writers of those
tutorials and encourages them to write more of them.

Nathan