[wp-hackers] Plugin Privacy Option (was Revisiting phone home and privacy)

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Mon Dec 14 04:29:05 UTC 2009

On Dec 13, 2009, at 6:03 PM, Doug Stewart wrote:

> What about this: what if you added a Plugin-Update-URI header field to
> plugins and themes? Themes or plugins without an explicitly-defined URI
> would default to checking api.wordpress.org while plugin/theme devs that
> don't (for whatever reasons) want to use the .org hosting environment can
> host their own updates. Then, we could supply the necessary info for 3rd
> parties to implement the expected return values from the update API and then
> they, too, could take advantage of the internal WordPress upgrade checking,
> further reducing ways that individual blogs can be compromised.

My plugin code notwithstanding, I like Doug's idea a lot.

Also, said code cleaned up slightly:

add_filter( 'option_update_plugins', 'filter_get_update_plugins' );
add_filter( 'transient_update_plugins', 'filter_get_update_plugins' ); // for cached data

function filter_get_update_plugins( $data ) {
	unset( $data->response['myplugin/myplugin.php'] );
	return $data;
}

Stephen

--