[wp-hackers] Custom Post - implementation specifics

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Thu Dec 3 22:52:56 UTC 2009

On Dec 3, 2009, at 4:43 PM, Eric Marden wrote:

> On Dec 3, 2009, at 1:41 PM, Stephen Rider wrote:
>
>> I think a cart/horse inversion is happening here, but something to keep in mind for *after* the full Post Type API is in place.
>
> What do you mean by the full post API? What can't you do with wp_insert_post, wp_update_post, wp_delete_post, get_post, get_posts, add_post_meta, update_post_meta, delete_post_meta, and friends?

Creating a core create_edit_page() function of some sort.  Quoting myself:

"I need an edit page for Post Type X.  It needs (for example) the Main Text Box, Tags, and Excerpt.  Bang!  Done."

Set it up so that plugins can readily use this with custom post types, but also the standard Edit Post/Page pages should run off the same code.  (Keeps things consistent and consolidated.)

...plus whatever else people suggest that seems like a solid enough concept.

Stephen

--
Stephen Rider
http://striderweb.com/