[wp-hackers] Custom Post - implementation specifics

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Thu Dec 3 22:48:57 UTC 2009

On Dec 3, 2009, at 3:59 PM, Doug Stewart wrote:
> My one HUGE request:
>
> * Hierarchies for custom post types/taxonomies. (Slap me if I'm mixing
> my metaphors and have the notion of custom post types all
> whopperjawed...)
>
> As of right now, if you register a custom taxonomy and want automatic
> buy-in from WP's administrative interface, you HAVE to make it a flat
> taxonomy. Hierarchical ones simply fail to register and no amount of
> prodding seems to work.
>
> I'd like to have the ability to have a single "ancestor" post with an
> arbitrary number of related child and grandchild and great-grandchild
> (et cetera) posts each with the potential to be another unique type.
>
> So, for instance, in a simplistic use case, if I were to create a
> "magazine" using WordPress, I could create "issues", each of which
> could have "articles".  In a bit more complex of a metaphor, I could
> have a daily "newspaper" with "issues", each of which had a "section"
> that then proceeded to have "articles".
>
> Am I making sense here?

Great use case.  Sounds like what you want could be handled a variety of ways.  One would be to use the Drupal CCK/Pods for WordPress like multiple tables, i.e.

wp_posts
wp_custom_magazines
wp_custom_issues
wp_custom_articles

So this would be a good example of where a Pods-like approach would probably work well. I think articles, newspapers and sections could probably be handled with taxonomy.

Another approach, probably the preferred in the Wordpress world would be to add custom taxonomies as a layer on top of custom post types.  There you could associate magazines and issues and articles, et. al.  With this approach the two might even be orthogonal issues, and probably will be available once custom post types roll out in 2.9 and people have a chance to apply taxonomy over custom post types.

-Mike