[wp-hackers] The problem with WP_Rewrite <<< RE: Options for Controller - Views

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Thu Dec 3 19:26:51 UTC 2009

On Dec 3, 2009, at 1:48 PM, Otto wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 12:34 PM, Mike Schinkel
> <mikeschinkel at newclarity.net> wrote:
>> And to be blunt in return, it's exactly that type of position that I think should disqualify your opinion from having any sway with respect to WordPress' direction.  That is highly condescending.  Your assertion would compare to me saying "Unless you have the skills of the German masters you shouldn't be allowed to brew beer."
>
> Okay, two things:
> 1. Brewing beer is way harder than regular expressions.

Heh.  BTW, I thought you were done?

> You're acting as if regexp is some other level of godly existence that
> is impossible for some mere mortal to achieve. FFS man, we're talking
> about figuring out * and ? and . and such here. Parenths for $matches.
> That's all there really is to it for these purposes. It's just not all
> that freakin' complicated.

How about you come to Atlanta WordPress and will ask the following questions:

1.) How many of you know regular expressions?
2.) How many of you are willing to learn regular expressions?

If you get more than 30% uptake, I'll concede.

> Yes, I assume human beings have brains. For you to assume that people
> who write themes are barely capable of tying their shoelaces is what
> is really condescending here.

Mine are not assumptions.  I've done a lot of WordPress training locally. I've had this discussion with people over and over who have told me they either can't figure out regular expressions or they don't want to deal with regular expressions.  It's not because I haven't tried. Can you say the same?

> And with that, we're done. I'm not going to bother to respond to you
> on the list anymore, so I suggest you just drop it.

My response is for others following this as much as you.  But I'm glad you are dropping it, I'm ready to too.

-Mike