[wp-hackers] One CMS to Rule Them All (was This was painful to read...)

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Wed Dec 2 22:44:14 UTC 2009

On Dec 2, 2009, at 5:22 PM, Adam Taylor wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 10:16 PM, Mike Schinkel
> <mikeschinkel at newclarity.net>wrote:
>>
>> I have absolutely no jealousy here; I'm a pragmatic entrepreneur who knows
>> how to program.  I want a business solution, not to follow an ideology.
>>

> Why don't you "embrace open source", fork Wordpress, and shape it how you
> like.  If others agree with your idea/philosophy they will support it by
> using it, and Wordpress can stick to being an awesome blogging platform.

Because I see that #1 value of WordPress being it's large user base and large support for that user base.  Forking would be killing the goose that lays the golden eggs in that respect.  I would *never* fork a successful open source project.  I would instead try to influence it within.

For the record there are almost certainly better technical solutions than WordPress but the inertia behind WordPress make all those technical benefits moot.

-Mike Schinkel