[wp-hackers] Tips for moving a Wordpress install

Russ Gilbert russgilbert at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 20:38:37 UTC 2009

if you're going to have the same URL on your new server, but it isn't live
yet and you don't want to have to deal with a search/replace that then needs
to be undone, you can set your machine to treat the new setup like it was
the old by making a change to your hosts file.

On a windows box, that's in c:/windows/system32/drivers/etc, and on a mac
it's /private/etc/hosts.txt

Put in the domain (www will need to be on a separate line) and the new
site's IP address, save the file, and close all open browsers.

Until you change the hosts file back, your computer will treat the new IP as
though it were the real site.  It's a great way to test configuration on a
new host before the domain points there.

Other than that, just go through the steps below.