[wp-hackers] Plugins Receiving Emails

Will Anderson wp-hackers at itsananderson.com
Thu Aug 20 12:48:36 UTC 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 6:25 AM, Alex Hempton-Smith <
hempsworth at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Frank,
>
> I should have mentioned that I was aware of wp_mail(), that solved my
> *sending* of mails, but receiving them is the bigger issue.
>
> Cheers,
> -- Alex  (Hempsworth)
>

> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 11:18 AM, Frank Bueltge <frank at bueltge.de> wrote:
>
> > wp_mail() is the mail-function in WP and habe all settings, hooks for
> > custom mails.
> > Frank

If you look at the way post by email is set up, you'll notice that it's
actually connecting to an external email server. WordPress certainly doesn't
come with its own mail server. It simply connects to an external server and
retrieves new messages.

You can find the code in /wp-mail.php. It uses the
/wp-includes/class-pop3.php file and the POP3 class. Should be easy enough
to duplicate the code for your plugin.

--
Will Anderson
http://www.itsananderson.com/