[wp-hackers] Category Hooks

Carl Hancock carlhancock at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 22:05:59 UTC 2009

Jane Wells suggested I submit this to the hacker list.   I was inquiring
about the possibility of hooks being added to the category editor to enable
you to add new fields to the categories via a plugin.
This would enable you to add custom fields, similar to custom write panels
on posts, to the category editor.  One example of usage would be to allow
you to associate an image with a category so you could have a category
template that lists categories as images.  Would be handy for theming.  It
actually could open up a variety of uses.
Right now with no hooks available to add additional information to the edit
category page we have been able to accomplish this but it was via a
secondary editor and not integrated within the existing category editor.  So
it isn't seamless.

Thoughts?

Carl