[wp-hackers] Load Balancing | Media Uploads to Multiple Servers

Steve Pellham spellham at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 17:29:19 UTC 2009

Thanks for the input Eric...

So what happens when the 'central location' gets cutoff from the world:
massive communication failure, hardware failure, fire, [insert your own
disaster here]?

A central location for the site isn't acceptable if that 'central location'
(I'm guessing you mean some sort of NAS/Network Storage) gets cutoff from
the world.  I'm speaking in terms of separate www/db servers that are
geographically dispersed.  If the 'web heads' both pulled from a central
location (easier to maintain... but...) there is still a single point of
failure.  If our east coast servers go down, the west coast would have
access to all content that had been successfully sync'ed and/or replicated -
both in the respect of replicated mysql (separate servers) and two or more
web servers that are synced as applications are modified and/or content
uploaded.
I fail to see how not replicating data (mysql, application, content data)
across multiple servers prevents a single point of failure.

Thanks, Steve