[wp-hackers] Multiple category boxes / tabs in the Admin Area

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Tue Apr 28 22:37:08 GMT 2009

On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 2:36 PM, Eduardo Wosiack Zulian
<eduardo at ethymos.com.br> wrote:
> Probably this is my first message in this list, so hello to you all!
>
> Well, I'm working in a project for a Non-Governamental Organization, and
> like most of the NGOs around the world, they have a lot of texts, articles,
> cases and campaings, wich will result in a big process of categorization. My
> ideia is to add more category boxes (as you can see here
> http://wordpress.org/support/topic/233789?replies=2) in the Add / Edit Post
> panels to help me - and them, specially - organise all the content,
> separating each one of my main categories in different boxes / tags. I've
> managed to hack edit-form-advanced.php for testing, but I don't want do do
> that.
>
> So, my questions: is there a good way to manage this without hacking into
> edit-form-advanced.php? Yes, I'm planning a plugin, but God, my head's a
> mess theses days and I can't think clearly anymore. Should I remove
> post_categories_meta_box and create my own with add_meta_box? Corrections,
> suggestions and enlightenments will be much appreciated.

WP 2.8 (not yet released) will show boxes for all defined tag
taxonomies. If you use register_taxonomy() to define new
non-hierarchical taxonomies, they will show on the edit screen.
Unfortunately, this is not yet done for hierarchical taxonomies like
post categories.  If you want to show multiple hierarchical taxonomies
on the edit screen you have to add the UI yourself. I think there are
some plugins that do this. Maybe this one:
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/custom-taxonomies/