[wp-hackers] ob_start - good or bad?

Simon Wheatley simon at sweetinteraction.com
Thu Apr 23 09:40:20 GMT 2009

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 10:35 AM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:

> Well, there's already a get_edit_post_link() function, so why not use
> that instead? Okay, so it doesn't return all the a href stuff, but
> that's easy to duplicate.

I hadn't spotted that when I looked at the edit_post_link function
somehow, thanks.. seems so obvious now I look again. :\

> In general, it's a bad idea to use output buffering unless there's no
> other way to do it. In the case of the given code, there's definitely
> another way to do it.

For the sake of my education (and accepting that get_edit_post_link is
available for this specific case), why is ob_start, etc,  a bad idea?

Thanks Otto.

---
Sweet Interaction Ltd is Registered in England/Wales, no. 6610741
Registered office: 7 Malton Av, Manchester, M21 8AT