[wp-hackers] peculiar problem on setting GMT

SoJ Web sojweb at indiana.edu
Wed Apr 15 12:43:37 GMT 2009

On Apr 14, 2009, at 21:57 PM, Otto wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 6:53 PM, SoJ Web <sojweb at indiana.edu> wrote:
>> And if all you do is apply a filter to the time display functions,
>> you're
>> not messing with the timestamps in the database or the chronology
>> anyway.
>
> That is a valid point, however you're limiting your audience
> unnecessarily here, I think. Why only allow registered users to see it
> in their time zone? If you're going to display time in the viewer's
> timezone, then it seems to me that a javascript approach to detect the
> time zone and adjust accordingly makes more sense. Then it works for
> everybody, without any server side code really necessary.

I was actually speaking to a related, but different issue: not
displaying in the viewer's time zone, rather, displaying the author's
time zone. So if the server is in central time, and I'm in eastern,
the published dates for my posts will show my (eastern) time (while
also displaying the GMT offset... otherwise it could get really
confusing). But for displaying in the viewer's time zone, I totally
agree, JavaScript is the way to go.

-Jeff