[wp-hackers] Template revisioning system for WordPress

Nivanka Fonseka fonsekaean at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 01:08:13 GMT 2009

Beau,

Yes that is some good point we have raised. Still I am not sure why
you suggest to version the entire theme, without just the file which
is edited.

Now when we normally do websites, we just keep versions of each and
every file, one by one. So why cant we use that logic here too?

Nivanka

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 9:17 PM, Beau Lebens <beau at dentedreality.com.au> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 2:01 AM, Nivanka Fonseka <fonsekaean at gmail.com> wrote:
>> yes I have mentioned it in my proposal, but there are some constrains,
>> WordPress templates are made of at least 4 or 5 files, so for this
>> matter we cannot just use the logic behind the content versioning
>> system. So my point is that to make this we will have to think of some
>> other means, and come up with a solution, I have included what I have
>> in my mind in my proposal.
>
> Yes, themes would probably benefit from more of an SVN-like system,
> where the entire "repo" was numbered (rather than individual files),
> so that you could roll back the whole theme to a known point, but that
> might be a bit tricky to implement given the potential number of files
> involved.
>
> And FYI: although I don't think you can edit applications, you can
> definitely add comments/"Reviews" to them on the site for more
> detail/clarification etc.
>
> Beau

Nivanka Fonseka