[wp-hackers] [GSoC 2009] A Dynamic Theme Framework and GUI Editor

Daryl Koopersmith daryl.koopersmith at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 11:55:27 GMT 2009

Hi everyone,

My name is Daryl Koopersmith. I was recently developing the concept of
a dynamic theme framework and editor for my application to the Google
SoC when I came upon the "Theme Frameworks" suggestion on the
WordPress ideas list. I found that this concept fit perfectly into
both the WordPress infrastructure and philosophy.

A dynamic theme framework and editor would accomplish the following:

— Provide a GUI through which anyone (regardless of skill level) could
productively edit WordPress themes
— Allow users to create any layout they choose (and in doing so,
provide alternatives to the sidebar-content-sidebar paradigm)
— Allow widgets to be assigned positions and managed visually
— Optimize theme memory footprint and provide automatic cross-browser
compatibility

A detailed description of the project is located at
http://koopersmith.wordpress.com and includes a justification for the
creation of a theme framework/editor and an outline of its potential
implementation. I would be happy to discuss any questions and would
appreciate any feedback you have. Thank you for your time!

Best,
Daryl