[wp-hackers] Merge Tags

Alex Hempton-Smith hempsworth at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 14 17:21:56 GMT 2008

I thought that too, but then the example I posted with the ticket showed
that users may want to define a completely different tag name:

I've got the following tags which all mean the same thing:

TV, the box, telly

I select them all in edit-tags.php, select 'Merge' and 'Apply'. In the
popup box I choose 'television' as the primary tag, 'television' as
the slug, and list the old tags in the textarea.

I now have a tag called 'television' which has "television, TV, the
box, telly" all pointing to it, so my old URL's still work. All of my
posts which use the old tags have now magically swapped to using
'television'.

Although it's likely 'television' would have been used at some point, and
therefore available in the dropdown, it's not certain.

-- Alex