AW: [wp-hackers] Update of non GPL-Plugins (was Plugin licenses)

Xavier Borderie xavier at borderie.net
Fri Oct 24 13:10:51 GMT 2008

Agreed. Not being hosted on wp.org or GPL'd doesn't a bad plugin make.
I'd be strongly in favor of a minimal message indicating that WP
cannot notify user of the latest version of such plugin, and that it
needs to be updated manually.

Stephen, care to link to your patch, for reference's sake ?

-x.

2008/10/24 Stephen Rider <wp-hackers at striderweb.com>:
> It's been discussed before.  I made a patch a while back that informed users
> which plugins were _not_ checked for updates, so they would at least know
> that they have to check those manually.  It requires changes to the data the
> update server returns though.
>
> My personal opinion is in agreement with you.  Making it look as though
> those plugins have no updates available is doing a disservice to WordPress
> users, _and_ to those plugin authors who, for whatever reasons chose not to
> host their plugins on the WP server.
>
> Stephen
>

> On Oct 24, 2008, at 5:36 AM, Philip Hetjens wrote:
>
>> How would anybody of you (or automattic) explain him, that wordpress
>> didn't
>> show the version warning of his bought plugin, because he bought it? Come
>> on
>> guys...
>>
>> Once again: I don't want, that wp.org promotes theses plugins. I only
>> want,
>> that it helps updating, because the user will expect it.

Xavier Borderie