[wp-hackers] Who fixes API Key problems?

Mark R mark at automattic.com
Wed Oct 22 08:50:57 GMT 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 5:50 PM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:
> We get posts like this all the time on the support forums:
>
> http://wordpress.org/support/topic/211692
>
> While I don't understand the internals, I know that the whole API-Key
> situation can get easily screwed up by users who don't know what they
> are doing.  Where, exactly, are these users supposed to go for
> support? Because we obviously cannot help them, and there is no clear
> path to support there.
>
> Also, people seem to be frequently blown off or directed to the
> wordpress.org support forums simply because they are using the
> Self-Hosted WordPress, which frankly annoys me to no end. I hate
> having to tell people I can't help them and that they're in the wrong
> place, especially when they went to the right place in the first place
> and were apparently not clear enough in what their problem is.
>
> API key issues MUST be handled by the WordPress.com staff. Nobody else
> can fix them. So where is the correct place to send these people?

That looks like a "I did not read the readme" and there is no footer code added.

I will get a comprehensive answer written at .com support so send them there.
That said, the answer will explain that they first check the akismet
screen to see if it is green.
If it is and they have correctly added the footer code as in the
readme then any subsequent error I may not be able to fix. We'll see.

But I bet that person did not read the readme.

M.