[wp-hackers] WordPress UI Idea (#4): Sortable, editable main menu

Kaspars Dambis kaspars at konstruktors.com
Fri Oct 3 12:43:39 GMT 2008

Hey Matt,

> I think it might be better, however, to not have a toggle for turning
> sorting on or off-- if a user drags a menu item, it should move without
> having to be told it's about to be moved (if you know what I mean).

There are certain limitations in the current jQuery sortable extension
which could make the expand/collapse event a bit unstable and sluggish
because of the shared onclick event.

> Just my two cents, nice prototype (small bug: when you start dragging a
> menu item and you drag it far enough that some items rearrange, but then
> you drag it back to its original spot and drop it [ie, no move], then
> click on it to rename, the menu item disappears-- otherwise, works
> fine). :)

Yeah, I am aware of those. Adding custom helper and placeholder
classnames to target li items could probably make it smoother.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Kaspars