[wp-hackers] Keep local DB in sync with remote DB

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 22:35:24 GMT 2008

Stephen Rider wrote:
>> Not necessarily -- if the config points to "localhost" for the DB
>> then it is at the same computer on which you're running
>> WordPress (whether test or live server).

Also not necessarily.  Not all web hosts using "localhost" for their MySQL
services, MediaTemple for example.
See
http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/wp-hackers/2008-November/022872.htmlfor
how to address that.

>> I keep the wp-config.php one directory up from the WordPress files.
The local and "live" wp-config files aren't synced, but everything else
is. Works perfectly for me.  No extra code needed.
>> On another note: I keep my wp-content in a separate place too, so when
upgrading I can completely wipe the wp/ directory and upload the new
files.

How does WP know where to find them?  What do you have to change?

Thanks in advance.

-Mike Schinkel
http://mikeschinkel.com/custom-wordpress-plugins/