[wp-hackers] Bad assumption on creation of ABSPATH

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 19:52:48 GMT 2008

With 20+ years of programming experience I've learned many times over that
the direct reference of constants or global varibles causes exactly these
and many other kinds of problems. Changing ABSPATH now after it has
established itself would cause far more problems than leaving it as is and
documenting the concern. It's (almost) always better to use functions for
this kind of thing because the code in the function can adjust in ways that
a global constant cannot.

IMO using ABSPATH and other global constants should be deprecated as a best
practice in favor of using functions like plugins_url() and
plugin_basename().

JMTCW.

-Mike Schinkel
http://mikeschinkel.com/custom-wordpress-plugins/