[wp-hackers] Re: Place, Geotagging

Steven Clift slc at publicus.net
Wed Nov 5 19:25:00 GMT 2008

Mike Schinkel wrote:
> Of course that doesn't provide an exact match to a City/Place which would be
> very useful. Problem is, I guess, that there is no standard list of places.
> I did find "Natural Area Code" but it is proprietary:
> http://www.nacgeo.com/nacsite/licensing/

Wow. Thanks for digging into the topic.

One more link for the mix is the place name database that mySociety uses
for:
http://gaze.mysociety.org/

I can't find the link, but I was once told by the developers that they
adapted a public domain U.S. military database of 4 million place names
around the world. Perhaps they now do something different for various
countries.

What it does with a site like http://pledgebank.com in the U.S. version
is that when I search a city "Winona" it asks which one specifically:
http://www.pledgebank.com/search?q=winona

Steven Clift