[wp-hackers] Place, Geotagging

Jennifer Hodgdon yahgrp at poplarware.com
Tue Nov 4 19:10:36 GMT 2008

There are plenty of plugins for geographical tagging in WordPress. If
you cannot find them in the official plugin repository, try Google
(mine, for instance, is not in the repository but on my web site).

In my opinion, geotagging is not appropriate for WP core. Geotagging
is quite complex, actually, and to do it right you need to have the
ability to enter information in various ways and have it end up as a
latitude/longitude pair. Which means having a geotagging database (for
converting addresses to lat/long), and probably having map clicking,
etc. Generally, that means you use an existing map service (Yahoo maps
or Google maps), which is a proprietary service, and requires the user
to get an account for it to work, and it could start charging at any
time, change its API, etc. For that reason, I don't think it's
appropriate for the WP core, but it's great for a plugin.

And regarding your first suggestion, I personally don't want my WP
sites to report anything to WP Central, such as automatically
reporting where I'm located or the existence of my site for some
marketing listing on wp.org.

     --Jennifer

--
Jennifer Hodgdon * Poplar ProductivityWare
www.poplarware.com

Drupal/WordPress Sites, Themes, Modules/Plugins
Custom Web Programming, Web Databases
PHP, Perl, MySQL, JavaScript, XML, AJAX